Sunday, November 9, 2008

Gourmet Sunday


Sometimes the change in seasons is rough and all you want is a little comfort...

Hosts: Spark and Rob
Guests: Amy, Matias, and Karen
Starter: Tuscan Hearty Chickpea Soup with Sundried Tomato, Basil, and Farfalle.
Main: Grilled Vegetable Sandwich with Red Pepper, Zucchini, Eggplant, Onion, Mushroom, Avocado, and Pesto, topped with Cheddar Cheese on an Italian artisan bread.
Wine: 2007 Masi Masianco Pinot Grigo & Verduzzo (white) and 2006 Catena Malbec (red).

I have a few true loves in life, and one of them is definitely sandwiches. Tonight was meant to be somewhat of a reunion for the Sandwich Club, but Slorach had other obligations. Having not really made a fantastic sandwich since moving back from England, I had sandwiches on my mind, and was determined to gobble one up. I was worried because I couldn't find Panini bread anywhere (who thought it would be so difficult to find in a city like Toronto?). Amy came through, however, with a nice Italian artisan. Spark's soup was delicious. It may very well make a regular appearance in my kitchen from here on out. Both went over well with the guests, and we can therefore deem tonight another successful Gourmet Sunday.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

but i thought comfort was the very thing we were trying to escape.

Anonymous said...

I'm jealous! Too bad my mom came out or we would have been there. I didn't know you guys had a sandwich club. Anyone want to start a cereal club?

Rob Blyth said...

Comfort food, matias, and comfort zone are two very different things. Get with the program lil buddy.

Anonymous said...

no offense but i don't think the two are mutually exclusive here. comfort food lies squarely in the zone. the comfort zone.